CUPE Local 5430 is the largest health care union in Saskatchewan, representing over 13,600 members. We represent a wide range of health care providers in five major classification areas: clerical, technical, nursing, support and plant operations. Together, we each contribute to the well-being of hospital patients, long-term care residents and home care clients.
CUPE Local 5430 was founded in 2017 after the following five Locals voted to merge into one provincial union:
- Local 5111 (Prairie North Health Region) – now Region 1
- Local 4777 (Prince Albert-Parkland Health Region) – now Region 2
- Local 3967 (Regina-Qu’Appelle Health Region) – now Region 3
- Local 5999 (Sun Country Health Region) – now Region 4
- Local 4980 (Sunrise Health Region) – now Region 5
The objectives of Local 5430 are to:
- Secure the best possible pay, benefits, working conditions, job security, pensions and retiree benefits for its members;
- Provide an opportunity for its members to influence and shape their future through free democratic trade unionism;
- Encourage the settlement by negotiation and mediation of all disputes between the members and their employers;
- Eliminate harassment and discrimination of any sort or on any basis; for the equality of treatment regardless of class, race, colour, nationality, age, sex/gender, language, sexual orientation, place of origin, ancestry, religious beliefs, or mental and physical disability; and the active opposition of discrimination of same wherever it occurs or appears;
- Establish strong working relationships with the public we serve and the communities in which we work and live; and
- Support CUPE in reaching all the objectives set out in Article II of the CUPE National Constitution.